Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Reflections

Now that I've been home for a few days, my brain is starting to clear from the bombardment of information.  I'm also feeling more rested from the physical and emotional ordeal of the last week.  I was so grateful that Mignon could keep the blog up to date during the "festivities" as I was so exhausted.  Looking back, that first day ended up being the most difficult as the worst of outcomes was presented at that time.  As the week progressed, it didn't seem so dire.  The fact remains, however, that the risks of a double transplant are high. How does one decide?  As we grow older, we all realize that the best laid plans don't always work out.  We all realize we have no control over events and nothing is for certain.  Our jobs, our loves, our lives, all of it.  As I await a phone call with a decision from the lung transplant team, I'm ready to revisit the week through my sister's incredible notes and ponder the options.  In the meantime, I have to earnestly try to put on some weight, the first goal being 5 pounds and prepare myself to get back to rehab.  Right before Mignon and I left Family House, we met Ed who was recovering from his high risk single-lung transplant at the age of 71. Here's Ed:
I asked Ed if he regretted his decision to proceed with the transplant, the months of waiting, the false starts, and the recovery.  He basically said, for him, he did not regret it at all.  However, he pointed out that everyone does feel differently depending on the outcome of the surgery and recovery.  People who do well don't regret as much as people who don't do as well.  Keep in mind that 85% of sclero folks survive the first year yet 50% have complications from simple to not so simple.  The more "beefed up" and "buffed up" I can get, the more I can help improve my odds.  I could make a few jokes here, but I'll refrain.  I'll just leave you with this mantra, "I'm going to PUMP IT UP."

No comments:

Post a Comment