Sunday, May 12, 2013

SUNDAY MORNING . COL'S RM 919
The hospital shuttle driver was late picking me up at the hotel this morning--he had a driving job for a high school prom last night that didn't finish until 3 am--so I was a half-hour late and missed the early morning routine doctor visit. Col said I didn't miss anything. When I arrived, she was sitting up on the window side of the bed, sun pouring through, writing in her personal medical journal and eating breakfast! 
She slept last night too.

Yesterday, acting as my sister's personal Sherlock Holmes, I may have stumbled upon a key culprit in her sleepless nights--the 2 cans of supplemental nutrition, called "2-Cal," that she's been taking at night ever since the feeding tube was put in on February 28. Evidence: Wednesday and Thursday she had two good nights; she received no 2-Cal nutrition on those nights because of planned procedures on the following days that required fasting. Evidence: Friday was a bad night and when I saw her first thing in the morning, she looked exhausted the way she's been looking in the mornings since I arrived in New Jersey. Question: Why was Friday night a setback? Speculation: One glaring difference between Friday and the previous two nights was the presence or absence of the supplemental 2-Cal. Deduction: 2 cans of 2-Cal nightly is the prime suspect.


I offered my observation yesterday morning to the pulmonary team. One of the doctors, Dr. Boyle, took it seriously and ordered her prescription cut in half last night--to 1 can only of 2-Cal. Corroborating evidence: she had a good night's sleep.


10:15 AM
We're waiting for Colleen's nurse Liz to unhook her from her most recent IV dose of Lasix--the last one before tomorrow's procedure--so we can suit up a wheelchair with oxygen to take our trip around the hospital.




No comments:

Post a Comment