Thursday, April 11, 2013

Balanced Restored

I've spent many a night in a hospital bed lately but last night was the toughest.  I listened for the entire night to the quivering cry of what sounded like a wounded animal.  The suffering of this quite older woman was as sad as the condition she was in. The nurses gently washed her...I just can't explain what it was like to be just feet away listening to all this going on.  One of the nurses had to leave the room. I fear there are so many older people who are alone, unable to care for themselves and haven't an advocate to help them. This is the imbalance of humanity.

In terms of my situation, the goal remains to be reconsidered at UPMC.  To avoid the retention of fluid, my sodium intake has been reduced and fluid intake is 36 ozs. a day.  The increased shortness of breath is a given and appears to be the new normal.  In a couple of weeks, I'll be back to Hopkins for the "get back in the rhythm" heart procedure with the goal of being put on the UPMC lung transplant committee agenda again.  Let's hope these slight changes will restore balance.

4 comments:

  1. I am reading a David Richo


    book about syncrinicity both universal and personal. It was not by chance that u spent that night with that poor old woman. What was the lesson in the experience? "Discuss among yourselves"......(SNL) Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you had such a difficult night. It is sad to know so many people are alone, but know that you are not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colleen,
    I was just looking at some Welsh phrases as I try to send them to Ryan on occasion since he is studying the language. He never knows the meaning, but it is fun (for me). I just found one that cracked me up.

    Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

    This means "my hovercraft is full of eels". I started laughing and thought that a hovercraft full of eels could be bad or good. Not so good for me but good if you like eels.
    I doubt this is a true, widely used Welsh saying but I think this would be an interesting motto for me for a while. Maybe I can judge how things are going by imagining how many eels are in the hovercraft or even decide to like eels.
    I know this is just silly but thought I would share.
    May your hovercraft be free of eels, or not.
    Sleep well.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How 'bout some gold coins in that hovercraft instead of squirmy eels. Only the Welsh. No wonder Ryan wanted to learn the language. TeeHee

      Delete