Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Duckling Comes Home

Remember way back in February, I was getting my ducks lined up to take on the lung transplant eval?  A lot has happened I had them all lined up.  Since my last posting, all the ducks scrambled and I was running around as the headless chicken trying to bring them back in a nice neat row.  Well, I found the last duck but I'm still working on the neat row.

There were good days.  At Cape May Point, they honor vets at the sunset ceremony.  They raised my father's flag at sunrise, then in the evening a tribute to him, songs, and the lowering of the flag into the hands of the grandchildren under the direction of WWII Vet, Marvin. He showed the kids how to fold a flag, which is a rare thing these days.  You know how that goes, kids trying to be serious..It was really cool for them and my mother.
My mother Suzanne
& WWII Veteran Marvin
Something to think about to honor your special vets.

There were not such good days.  As a result, despite my efforts, I can no longer live alone.  The silver lining was having a meltdown before my caregiver, Tina, took another job.  She's staying. Each "setback" makes my limitations greater. Sleep is interrupted, breathing is hard, going out...I need a day to get ready and a day to recover.  This poor vessel is trying so hard.  I've read that sometimes you can see things when you take certain drugs.  Now, I wouldn't know about such things but recently during the night I did see a big black furry spider moving laterally on the ceiling above my bed and disappearing into the wall only to reappear on the other side.  FREAKY.  Within the next two days, 3 FB friends had sightings, but they were real.    I haven't looked up what that means in my Indian Medicine cards but I will and let you know in my next entry.  

Time for my evening ride-about!
One final thought, I need to accept that those ducklings will not stay in a neat row, at least not for very long.



4 comments:

  1. So good to read a new post by you, dear sister. Apropos ducks in a row, I have never forgotten what Father Terry said some years back--Father Terry, whom I adore, is a sober Irish Catholic priest whose LA ministry is working with alcoholics and addicts--he said he believes the way the AA fellowship works is that we hold each others' hands while we get used to the fact that the ducks are never going to be in a row. This, of course, can be extrapolated to include the fellowship of the entire human community. How I treasure my hand in yours, and yours in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I awoke this morning with ducks on my mind. Thanks ever so, Col. But from my ever so deep think did emerge an obvious conclusion: the whole ducks-in-a-row thing is a fool's errand masquerading as a worthy goal. A road to peace, right? My counter is this, along the lines of Ernest Kurtz's "Spirituality of Imperfection," let's embrace the wild in the mallards, eiders, loons, mandarins, redheads, goldeneyes, pintails, and mergansers. The wild in them is the wild in us.

    ReplyDelete