Monday, March 11, 2013

Heave The Anchor Short



The fog of the week in Johns Hopkins hospital is slowly lifting and I am prepping to set sail.  It’s been rocky seas.  Chelsea is able to stay with me for a while and that is a major help, physically and emotionally.  The organization and assessment of home care is underway.  The health care service, Holy Redeemer will serve as my anchor for now.  Caring for Nellie, gaining strength and endurance and returning to being as independent as I possibly can are the big goals.  Specifically, I want to be able to walk 400 feet in 6 minutes when I return to UPMC on May 13th.  Oh, and 5 additional pounds would be a bonus.  Training began today.  It’s depressing to see how quickly my body has weakened.  I have to admit that I let my fatigue and feelings of defeat win out over the more important need to move the body.  Now, the starting point is farther behind than it should be.  Yes, I’m going to start where I am but I wish I had reached out sooner for help getting me back to my “mat”…or as the ship’s captain might order, “head to the eye of the wind”.




This is a replica of the  fast sailing, Baltimore Clipper that first appeared after the Revolutionary War and remained a favorite until after the War of 1812. 

4 comments:

  1. Peace and Love from Absecon:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy you're home,Col. Mignon and Lesley did a super job of reporting, but it's still hard to imagine all you've been thru. I hope being at home and having help, inc Nellie, will allow you to rebuild your strenght and "tude". I do understand tho about inactivity weakening the body even more - I haven't been out of the house in weeks and I know it's not good.
    Consider yourself hugged,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a test comment, made on behalf of one of your readers who cannot comment here.

    See the forum post:

    http://productforums.google.com/d/topic/blogger/CZKlfEIAM8M/discussion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aye Aye captain permission to board! Let's set sail :)

    ReplyDelete