Saturday, July 27, 2013

Local Woman Has New Lungs

Last August, I was still driving to rehab.  There, I met Joanne.  She'd been on the Pittsburgh transplant list for two years and had scleroderma for eight.  Younger than I, she was walking that treadmill for 15 minutes and more.  I was impressed and encouraged.  I believe sometime in October, the rehab patients and staff wished her luck as she left for her three month check-up. She would be my barometer.  For months, no one heard a word except that the doctors had her stay at the hospital.  Meanwhile, my health was declining.  My heart straining and the water retention rising, i.e. heart failure.  I couldn't make it to rehab anymore.  The rest of my story you know.  I never stopped thinking about Joanne.  When I finally was able to speak to her husband, he just kept telling me to do what I needed to do to get on the list.  As you know, I went into battle.




Having not heard a word for months, the husband didn't return my phone call, I feared the worst and I made my decision to change strategies since the odds were so not in my favor.  When I saw Joanne's picture in the paper surrounded by her husband and two boys, I was just thrilled for her.  She did it!  She got through the horrific experience.  I must confess I felt envy.  I also had doubt, could I have survived the ordeal?  I closed my eyes, and sat with my breath, in and out.  I'm back to feeling at peace with my choices.  As for Joanne, she's a champion in my book.  I might never see her again, but I'll be rooting for her to live her best life with little complications.



No comments:

Post a Comment